17 April 2004

League of Extraordinary Books

My attempt to read all books referenced or alluded to in The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (the comic, not the movie) is proceeding. Slowly, but it goes. I got all the way through the entire Sherlock Holmes canon (very delightful books, now go read them). Then I got sidetracked by other books, but only temporarily. If I can find a copy of Doyle's The Lost World, that'll be next. If not, then I'll move on to Poe, probably. Or else Jules Verne.

One of the things that has distracted me is science. I'm not exactly sure why, but I developed an urge--a quite strong one--to understand more about the universe. Now, I've always been interested in science--at times in the past I was going to be a geologist, a marine biologist, a botanist, and a wolf biologist; when I studied archaeology, I focused on zooarchaeology and when I studied folklore, one of my main interests was pseudoscience--but I've never felt quite so compelled to wrap my brain around things scientific. So I've been reading lots of science books, as well as history and archaeology and other disciplines that seek to understand the whys of the universe and civilization.

No comments: