28 February 2005

Back in Business

As much as I can be, anyway. I went along when Sue took Ryan home, and we made a stop at EB Games and Futureshop in Langford. I am now the proud owner of this monitor. It's the cheapest model they had, but it's nicer than my old one, plus they had one in an opened box (probably either a display model or a customer return) that was $20 cheaper. Yay! I can play games again. And do work. Of course. Lots of serious work. And, it's not that horrible putty colour computers always used to be. It's black and silver, and so won't look out of place when I get the Mac. Not that matching colours is a big consideration when buying computer equipment, but it is nice to have something that isn't "computer colour." So I've started playing The Cameron Files: Secret at Loch Ness, which is pretty good so far (all 1/2 hour I've played). But I just remembered I told Selena I'd play Nancy Drew: Secrets Can Kill first, so I can pass it on to her, so I'd better start that one next time I play.

Also, I decided a while ago to buy a Gameboy Advance SP. I had been thinking about it for a while. I tend to think about things like that for a while, considering carefully, but when I make a decision, I want to act on it right away. Anyway, I decided that there were enough action/adventure and adventure/rpg (and even a few straight adventure) games available for it that I would actually play it, so it wouldn't be a waste of money. Plus, they have a long-lasting rechargeable battery, so when the power goes out (which it does fairly often up here), I won't have to wander around wondering what I should do. With three hours of laptop battery and ten + hours of Gameboy battery, I won't have to strain my eyes trying to read by candlelight, which is what I usually do when the power goes out. Anyway, I've been looking on eBay for a week or two, and discovered that used Gameboys sell for nearly as much as new ones, even with the Nintendo DS being out now (that's the next generation handheld) (it's really expensive) (so is Sony's very cool PSP handheld--it's like a mini PS2, almost). Used Gameboys at EB Games aren't all that cheap, either, but they are guaranteed, so I saved about $20, and didn't have to pay eBay shipping. I also picked up a couple of games: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars (adventure) and The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (rpg). I've played the second Broken Sword on PC, and it was very good. I've got the third one now, but I think I need to install a different version of DirectX to get it to work. Either that, or I'll be sneaking downstairs to play it on Sue's machine. Anyway, Shadow of the Templars was the first one, so I'm really looking forward to it. And the Zelda games have always looked like lots of fun, though I've never felt quite like buying a GameCube in order to play them. So there you go. I am big-time game-girl now, but I must not get too distracted by Gameboy (or the PS2 game I just got on eBay) until all my PC games are finished.

Blah, blah, blah, games, games, games. I'm sure you're all very bored now. Next time I will endeavour to write about something halfway interesting.

No comments: