17 March 2010

[BFG] Fantasy Submissions

In an effort to get myself back to working on fiction, which I neglected while in art school, I've started submitting again. I began by entering my YA novel A Madness of Kentaurs in the Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award. The first round was judged entirely on the pitch. I suck at writing pitches and didn't make it through. Obviously I need to work on writing pitches if I ever hope to get a novel published. You can read the the Kentaurs pitch in a previous post.

Then late last month, I dealt with the disappointment of not making it to round two in ABNA by sending out a bunch of stories. Here are the results so far, by story title:
  • Caught on Thorns - submitted to Dark Discoveries via e-sub, haven't heard back
  • Cobbleshore Knit - submitted to Fantasy & Science Fiction via mail, haven't heard back
  • Daughters of the Sea King - submitted to Weird Tales via e-sub, haven't heard back
  • Dragon's Egg - submitted to Silver Blade via e-sub, haven't heard back
  • Fox Point Dragon - submitted to Cricket via mail, haven't heard back
  • Great Skerry - submitted to Orson Scott Card's Intergalactic Medicine Show via e-sub, haven't heard back
  • Hollow Bones - submitted to Dreams of Decadence via esub, rejected; submitted to Clarkesworld via e-sub, haven't heard back
  • King of Kings, Ruler of Camels - submitted to Cabinet des Fees via e-sub, rejected; haven't resubmitted yet
  • The Promise of Roses - submitted to Strange Horizons via e-sub, haven't heard back yet
  • Remembering to Fly - submitted to Fantasy via e-sub, rejected; haven't resubmitted yet
  • Sealskin - sent to Interzone via mail, haven't heard back
  • Sharper and More Fragrant - submitted to Clarkesworld via e-sub, rejected; submitted to Fantasy via e-sub, rejected; haven't resubmitted yet
  • Spinning - submitted to Realms of Fantasy via mail, haven't heard back yet

So I'm working my way though the pros and semi-pros and will eventually start sending to the smaller no-pay zines when I run out of paying markets.

No comments: