29 June 2010

Peacocks and Satyrs

Here are some quick in-progress shots of my latest ATC illustrations. First, some peacocks:


I had a fourth one, but I didn't like how the sketch turned out, and it was an extra anyway, so I decided to leave it out. Besides, as usual I've left them to the last minute and need to mail them by the end of the week, so I don't have time to do a better one. I'll probably include one of Leonardo's Clockwork Scarabs as a swap host gift, instead.

And, then, some creatures of myth and fantasy:


The dragon is the odd card out, being Asian instead of Greek like the rest, so I'll probably put him aside for another upcoming swap (theme: pen and ink with watercolour), which will actually put me ahead a little.

The yellowish shiny stuff on the hippocampus is masking fluid (aka liquid frisket), which is basically latex suspended in water. I'm going to see what it looks like with the rest of the card painted and the mane left seafoam-white. Also, with this set, I discovered two things: one, I need more horse reference images and two, I really like drawing satyrs (even though this guy's head turned out a little too big). I knew I liked drawing satyrs--it's one reason there are satyr characters in Fey--but I had sort of forgotten. There may be a lot more satyrs in my illustrative future. Steampunk satyrs, anyone?

2 comments:

Carol said...

Steampunk satyrs - yes! Can't wait to see what you do there. And I grew up with peacocks around our farm so I just love them and your ATCs capture the bird nicely.

Unknown said...

Thanks Carol. I love peacocks! And those steampunk satyrs are going to happen. The idea's stuck in my head now and the only way to deal with it is to draw them!