26 May 2005

One Week to 33

You know, for some reason, I have it stuck in my head that I was born on a Thursday. I don't know why. I looked it up a long time ago, and can't remember whether it turned out to be true or not. Perhaps I shall go look now . . .

Hunh. Apparently, it was a Friday. I wonder why Thursday is stuck in my head.

Anyway, this year my birthday is on a Thursday. Next Thursday, in fact. I kind of like the idea of having two threes in my age. Some remnant of my superstitious self that knows threes are important in Western European myth and lore. That bit of myself also knows that Thursday is named for Thor:
Thor is the wielder of Mjollnir and the defender of Asgard. He is described as a massive red-bearded champion wearing iron gloves and a belt/girdle of might, Megingjardir. He is the only god forbidden to cross Bifrost, for fear that his lightnings could destroy the bridge or that he would set it aflame by the heat of his presence. Thor rides in a chariot drawn by two goats, Tanngniost (Toothgnasher) and Tanngrisnir (Toothgrinder). The rolling of the wheels of this chariot is said to create the thunder that rolls across the heavens.
What this actually has to do with anything, I leave up to you.

Friday, of course, is named for Freya:
The goddess of love and fertility, she came to Asgard with her brother, Freyr, and her father, Njord. Freya was exceedingly beautiful and many fell in love with her, including giants, dwarfs and men. Freya is said to have a talent for witchcraft and it is said that when she came to Asgard she instructed the gods about magic charms and potions. Freya also has a warlike side and shares Odhinn's love of battle. She and Odhinn share the slain heroes between them, so that some go to Valhalla and others are chosen by Freya to be entertained at her hall, Sessrumnir. Freya's boar, the gold-bristled Hildisvini, was a symbol of war. As well as a boar chariot, Freya had a chariot pulled by two gray or black cats. She had a falcon skin that she sometimes donned to fly away. She lent the falcon skin to Loki in the stories of Idunn's Apples and The Theft of Thor's Hammer. Her most precious possession is the Brisings' Necklace.
(Some people think Friday is named for Frigga, but then some scholars says Freya and Frigga are two aspects of the same goddess.) In Diana Paxson's book Brisingamen, Freya's two cats are marmalade tabbies (or maybe just golden coloured), and are named Beegold and Treegold (well, the Norse equivalent)--Honey and Amber. Kennings are cool.

Right. Already I have received two birthday cards, but I won't describe them or their contents until my actual birthday, since I am not supposed to have opened them until then. Also, next Friday or Saturday there will be barbequeing going on. Some kind of ribs (bbq or sweet and sour), stuffed potatoes, corn on the cob, grilled veggie salad, and probably something involving a lot of chocolate for dessert (maybe a Baskin Robbins Chocolate Mousse Royale ice cream cake, but I don't know if there's a BR near enough by to get the cake here without melting). The point is, if you actually know me (and maybe even if you don't), you're invited, but RSVP so we can make sure there will be enough food (it's genetic in the Staniforth female line--must make sure there's enough food, which generally means we can feed several times the number actually attending, unless there are Staniforth males among the guests--it's genetic among them to eat a lot of mashed potatoes and then take home the leftovers).

4 comments:

Rowena Hart said...

Join the 33-hood! It's really not much different than the 22-hood, except mellower.

If you're roasting tasty things over the BBQ on Saturday, could I join you Staniforth women and your menfolk for good food and even better conversation?

Unknown said...

Absolutely! I can even decree it Shall Be On Saturday (and not Friday) as it is *my* birthday, after all. Though, alas, the menfolk will be thin on the ground.

Rowena Hart said...

It's in the dayplanner for the 4th, then! Yay! Are there any more Buffy seasons that you need? /hint/

Unknown said...

Gee, I wonder what Rowena will get me for my birthday? Hee hee. I'm still missing season 7, plus seasons 2 on of Angel. 6 days and counting . . .